Beef brisket is one of the tastiest barbecue meats around, and when cooked low and slow, it is so tender and juicy.
Many people wonder what the secret to our brisket is; the answer is simple: we use our BBQ's Australia Memphis spice rub and keep the fat side up so the flavour from the juices can trickle through, then wrap in foil.
If you are planning to use your smoker, our hot tips
Begin by smoking your brisket unwrapped, allowing the fat, spices, smoke, and heat to form the crust outside the coating.For about half of the cooking time, wrap your meat in foil to preserve moisture and also steam the meat to make it even more tender.
A constant temperature of 120 degrees Celsius breaks down the connective tissue, rendering some of the intramuscular fat and preserving the tenderness and juicy flavor.
After two hours of cooking, don't be afraid to add moisture. You can lightly coat your brisket with either apple cider vinegar, water, beer, or apple juice. You can do this every hour, based on preference.
Here is a basic recipe for barbecuing beef brisket:
- Beef brisket, 2 kg
- Black pepper
- Your favourite BBQ rub
- BBQ sauce
- Heavy-duty aluminium foil
- Meat thermometer
- Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- Trim the excess fat from the brisket, leaving a thin layer to help keep it moist during cooking.
- Season both sides of the brisket generously with salt, pepper, and your favourite BBQ rub.
- Preheat your BBQ to 120 °C, using indirect heat. If you have a gas grill, turn off one burner and place the brisket on the other side. If you have a charcoal grill, bank the coals on one side and place the brisket on the other.
- Cover the grill and let the brisket cook for 3–4 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 72 °C.
- Wrap the brisket tightly in heavy-duty aluminium foil and return it to the grill for another 2–3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 90 to 95°C.
- Remove the brisket from the grill and let it rest for at least 15-20 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain and serve with your favourite BBQ sauce.
Enjoy your delicious and juicy beef brisket!